I am in my 40s and have chronic lower back and hip pain. pain shoots down front of leg. foot gets numb and tingly. any ideas what it could be?

Dr. Dean Giannone
Spinal problem.: With all that put together, my first thought would be an issue with your spine, perhaps a disc herniation or spinal stenosis. You may benefit from an X-ray of the lumbar spine with flexion and extension views along with an MRI of the spine to begin the investigation.
Dr. Edward Hellman
Orthopedic Surgery 30 years experience
Possibly a sciatica: A sciatica is caused by an irritation of a nerve in the back that then can cause pain that runs down the leg like you are describing. There are also potentially other causes as well. Usually a detailed history and exam can determine the cause. Thank you for your question.
Last updated Apr 10, 2018