TX

i need to lose weight to keep my heart healthy (have bicuspid aortic valve). are the slim-fast or atkins dietshakes unhealthy & do they actually work?

Dr. Shahin Tavackoli
Cardiology 23 years experience
Say NO to Atkins: Atkins diet will make the lipid profile look better but the nature of your bad cholesterol much worse, so i would not go near it. The better choice than both of those you mentioned is, the dean ornish diet.
Dr. Budi Bahureksa
Cardiology 31 years experience
Short time: Any and all commercial diet is good to jump start the weight loss plan but no more than 6 months -- i suggest that you begin healthy lifestyle of healthy diet and exercise this is cheaper and long lasting.
Healthtap Doctors: are asked not to endorse specific brands or product lines.Eat healthfully. Try to eat at least 5 servings of vegetables & 4 of fruit per day. Increase nutritional fiber. Avoid refined sugar & junk carbohydrates. Avoid alcohol, sweetened juices, soda & caffeinated beverages. Aim for 7.5 to 8 hrs of sleep / night. Hydrate w at least 64 oz of water / day. Calories burned must > calories consumed.
Dr. Robert Goldenberg
Dentistry 52 years experience
yes many of these programs can be highly successful with great results. You can contact me for specific Details of a program that I know works well
May 30, 2015