what does congenital hypoplasia of the right vertebral artery mean?

Dr. Shalabh Bansal
Small..: It means that one was born with a small right vertebral artery.

Is coronary vascular (artery) disease hereditable?

Dr. Steven Bowers
Risk: An individuals risk of coronary artery disease increases significantly when he or she has a first degree relative with cad, particularly if the relative was diagnosed before age 50-60. So yes it is hereditary to some degree. A more important and correctable risk factor, however, is smoking tobacco. If you do have a family history of cad, you should not smoke.

My dad died of coronary vascular (artery) disease, am I more likely to get it?

Pathology 44 years experience
Somwhat: Coronary artery atherosclerosis is such a common cause of death that that everyone should consider themselves at a high baseline risk. There's a slight genetic risk, but even so, lifestyle and to a lesser extent medication goes very far in preventing this regardless of you heredity. Good luck.

How common is congenital hiatal hernia?

Dr. Paul Cohen
Fairly: These things are more common than you would think; but easily treatable.

Are there some effective ways to clear up your carotid arteries?

Dr. Edward Neilsen
Surgery or stents: For blockages serious enough to require treatment, there are two options. A carotid endarterectomy is a surgery where the arteries are opened sugically and cleaned out. For some people, stenting is an option. Similar to heart stents, a small tube is inserted like an IV and a small metal coil is released in the area of the blockage, thereby holding the vessel open.

How is it that my carotid artery might hurt and how do I fix it?

Dr. Robert Knox
ENT and Head and Neck Surgery 37 years experience
Carotid Pain: Carotid artery pain is also called carotodynia. This is caused by inflammation of the arterial bulb, where the internal and external arteries divide from the common carotid artery. I recommend large doses of nsaids, such as Ibuprofen 800 mg three times / day for fourteen days. Prednisone is also generally very effective, but is used only if nsaids don't work. See your primary care healthcare provi.

Last updated Jun 16, 2015