I grind my teeth at sleep(hereditary) and my jaw clicks when i open my mouth. can this cause neck and head aches?

9 doctors weighed in across 4 answers
Dr. Theodore Davantzis answered

Specializes in Dentistry

Absolutely: Sounds like you've got TMJ issues. Seek the advice of a local dentist or oral surgeon who can evaluate your bite, habits, clicking, pain, missing teeth, etc and advise you on further treatment and if a bruxism guard will help you.

Answered 11/28/2017

2.8k views

Dr. Louis Gallia answered

Specializes in Surgery - Oral & Maxillofacial

Yes: Yes. TMJ problem likely related to bruxism. Can get much worse. See TMJ expert. Any dentist can be a TMJ expert with the proper training and experience. Most commonly, oral surgeons, prosthodontists, and orofacial pain specialists. Ask your MD, your dentist and your dental society for referrals.

Answered 7/12/2015

2.6k views

Dr. Ronald Hsu answered

Specializes in Pediatric Dentistry

Possibly: You seem to be experiencing early signs and symptoms of TMJ disorder, and heavy clenching and grinding can certainly lead to muscle soreness as well as clicking and popping of jaw joints. Please consult with your dentist and see if a night guard can be beneficial to you. Also, please see this website from the National Institute of Health. http://www.nidcr.nih.gov/oralhealth/Topics/TMJ/TMJDisord

Answered 12/5/2015

1.9k views

Dr. Paul Grin answered

Specializes in Pain Management

Of course, TMJ: When the TMJ is out of alignment or compromised in other ways, it can affect many other areas of the head and neck. The common symptoms are jaw clicking noises, jaw pain, neck pain, earache and headaches.

Answered 12/6/2015

1.9k views