when does someone need to see a therapist?

Therapist: When their quality of life has dropped or life is becoming unmanageable.

I think I am a hypochondriac , should I see a therapist ?

Dr. Arthur Hoffman
Please do ASAP: An expert evaluation by a very well trained & experienced psychiatrist will reveal the range of underlying cause(s), treatment (s). A physical exam should be include; hypochondriacs do get all kinds of difficult to diagnose maladies.
Dr. Martin Raff
Dr. Martin Raff commented
Infectious Disease 56 years experience
The word "hypochondriac" is now back in style instead of somatization? Love your softening of the crude comment that "even crocs get sick".
Apr 13, 2012

At what maximum rate can I see a therapist?

Dr. Jason Berman
A Verified Doctor answered
A US doctor answered Learn more
Within a week: I believe is a typical. If you call around, i'm sure you can find a psychologist or therapist who has some opening based on your schedule and his or hers. Keep working at it and you will find someone. You can find a psychologist close to you here: locator.Apa.Org be well, .
Satsuma, AL

Until i go see a therapist, any tips on how to cope with my ocpd? Its taking a toll on me.

Dr. Arthur Ciaramicoli
Clinical Psychology 45 years experience
OCD: Try to gradually reduce your compulsions, your thinking is making feel like it is necessary to do certain things to feel ok. In fact what you need to do to feel better ultimately is not give in to repetitive thoughts and behaviors. This is difficult and a therapist can certainly help but in the meantime try to make this adjustment yourself. Ocd is another form of misguided anxiety. Best wishes.

In the brief psychodynamic approach, does the therapist function as a blank slate?

Dr. Lynne Weixel
Clinical Psychology 36 years experience
Perhaps they try to: The briefer form requires an active role - commenting & even more at times. This makes it hard to be blank. So, the patient's views of the therapist are not pure projections of their wishes/fears and pretending they are can be a mistake. For everyone, our views of others are made up of a combination of their features and our issues.
Australia

In psychodynamic psychotherapy, is the patient expected to lead the session everytime with the therapist listening? Is there any interaction?

Dr. Pamela Pappas
Psychodynamic: In psychodynamic therapy, goals are to allow unconscious material to become conscious. Inner conflicts may be resolved that allow new behaviors and life choices that aren't limited by those conflicts. The patient is in charge of what's discussed, and the therapist provides a safe space in which to work with these issues. Yes, there's interaction -- yet silence is allowed to be present also.