i believe i had an ovarian cyst rupture last night after intercourse. the pain was unbearable! today my ovaries are throbbing. should i go to the er?

Dr. Robert Sterling
A Verified Doctor answered
A US doctor answered Learn more
I IncystYouBeCareful: With rupture some blood leaks out. Sometimes more than "some." Sometimes it can be a lot. And blood in that area can irritate the tissues and cause that pain and throbbing. Now, other things can happen down there too, like the ovary twisting, so it's probably a good idea to have it checked out unless the pain starts subsiding considerably over the next 6 to 12 hours, same if you feel dizzy.
Dr. Ward Dean
Dr. Ward Dean answered
Anti-Aging Medicine 43 years experience
Depends on pain: About the only treatment they can prescribe in the ER will be pain medications. If you can obtain pain relief with OTC pain meds (ibuprofen, naproxen, etc), then that may be all you need, acutely. If ovarian cysts are a problem, I suggest you consider Metformin and/or progesterone cream, which should give you some chronic relief.

Last updated Oct 16, 2015