New York, NY

I have a grade 2 meniscal tear that causes frequent locking of my knee. does the locking of the knee cause the tear to grow larger?

Dr. Ki-Hon Lin
Orthopedic Surgery 27 years experience
No: The knee locking is typically caused by guarding from pain, so the locking in and of itself does not cause the tear to grow larger. If the knee truly locks and you really cannot move it at all then that is typically treated as a surgical emergency and you should contact your orthopedist urgently.
Created for people with ongoing healthcare needs but benefits everyone.