U.S. doctors online nowAsk doctors free
A 75-year-old male asked:

I suffer from stomach bloating, gas. i am now on peppermint oil and trimebutine maleate inn. i am still bloated, is there a better medicine?

2 doctor answers2 doctors weighed in
Dr. Calvin Weisberger
53 years experience
Gas: You might try over the counter drug', the chemical name is simethicone. Taken as 80mg three or four times a day spaced 6-8hrs apart can help. The chemical stays in your gut and breaks gas bubbles to smaller packages that can minimize bloating. It is doesn't work after a week it probably isn't going to. It is unlikely to cause any other problems as it pretty much stays in the gut.
Created for people with ongoing healthcare needs but benefits everyone.
Dr. Heidi Fowler
Psychiatry 27 years experience
Have you considered : ginger? An adult can chew 1/4th ounce of raw ginger to decrease nausea/ GI upset but should not exceed 4 grams per day. Ginger can cause mouth irritation & heartburn – so encourage ginger tea instead. Place thin slivers of fresh organic ginger in tea pot with boiling water – steep for 5 minutes & then slowly sip.
Created for people with ongoing healthcare needs but benefits everyone.
Last updated Nov 10, 2018


Content on HealthTap (including answers) should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment, and interactions on HealthTap do not create a doctor-patient relationship. Never disregard or delay professional medical advice in person because of anything on HealthTap. Call your doctor or 911 if you think you may have a medical emergency.