U.S. doctors online nowAsk doctors free
A 45-year-old member asked:

Can an oral/maxillofacial surgeon also be a practicing anesthesiologist?

2 doctor answers4 doctors weighed in
Dr. Randall Stastny
Surgery - oral & Maxillofacial 35 years experience
Not really: Although it was a dentist, horace wells who first performed general anesthesia and oral & maxillofacial surgeons have very advanced training in general anesthesia we are not anesthesiologists. However, during times of war the military have used oms's as surgeons and anesthesiologists because of our dual training.
Dr. Daniel Quon
Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery 43 years experience
Yes: There are a number of people who graduated from dental school, completed an oral and maxillofacial residency, medical school and a residency in anesthesia who are now anesthesiologists. Even though they may have a dental/oral and maxillofacial training, many of these individuals may limit their practice to anesthesia.

90,000 U.S. doctors in 147 specialties are here to answer your questions or offer you advice, prescriptions, and more. Get help now:

Ask doctors free
Educational text
Talk to a doctor
24/7 visits - just $39!
50% off with $15/month membership

Similar questions

A 39-year-old member asked:

Can an oral/maxillofacial surgeo alson be a practicing anesthesiologist?

1 doctor answer2 doctors weighed in
Dr. Mark Gujer md fasa
Anesthesiology 27 years experience
Depends : Only if they have done two separate residencies after medical school. I would check to see if they are board certified. A surgeon although they can direct a nurse to give sedation can never actually give anesthetic agents themselves while doing a procedure.
A 46-year-old member asked:

How can I become an oral and maxillofacial surgeon?

2 doctor answers5 doctors weighed in
Dr. Scott Harwood
Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery 46 years experience
Study hard: Get good grades in college and then apply to dental school. After dental school you will then have to do an oral and maxillofacial residency. The other option is to get a dual degree md/dds and specialize in oms.

Related questions

A 41-year-old member asked:
1 doctor answer5 doctors weighed in
A 33-year-old member asked:
1 doctor answer3 doctors weighed in
A 32-year-old member asked:
3 doctor answers8 doctors weighed in
A 47-year-old member asked:
2 doctor answers7 doctors weighed in
Last updated Dec 31, 2013
Connect with a U.S. board-certified doctor by text or video anytime, anywhere.
24/7 visits - just $39!
50% off with $15/month membership


Content on HealthTap (including answers) should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment, and interactions on HealthTap do not create a doctor-patient relationship. Never disregard or delay professional medical advice in person because of anything on HealthTap. Call your doctor or 911 if you think you may have a medical emergency.