Which antibotic is good for a tooth infection? im on augmentan is penicillin better?

Dr. Patrick Melder
ENT and Head and Neck Surgery 29 years experience
Augmetin is perfect: Augmentin (amoxicillin and clavulanate) is my preferred antibiotic. Augmentin (amoxicillin and clavulanate) is a synthetic penicillin and the better choice. Clindamycin is also an excellent choice.
Created for people with ongoing healthcare needs but benefits everyone.
Dr. Bernstein Joel
ENT and Head and Neck Surgery 62 years experience
Dental question: Because the question concerns augmentin, (amoxicillin and clavulanate) i would like to agree with dr. Melder that Augmentin (amoxicillin and clavulanate) is superior to penicillin or Amoxicillin because it contains another chemical called clavulinic acid. This latter chemical prevents the breakdown of Amoxicillin by other bacteria. In regard to dental infections, an antibiotic that hits bacteria that can multiply in the absence of oxygen is needed.