U.S. doctors online nowAsk doctors free
A 49-year-old member asked:

I think i need anti-depressants. what can i do to get some?

2 doctor answers8 doctors weighed in
Dr. Samuel Miles
Psychiatry 48 years experience
See doctor: See your doctor and describe why you think you need an antidepressant. Your doctor may prescribe one or refer you to a psychiatrist for consultation.
Dr. Walter Anderson
Psychiatry 46 years experience
Why?: The first thing to do is find out what is making you ask the question about antidepressants, i.e., what problems/symptoms are you having. A good start would be to have a consult with a psychiatrist and find out what is the problem and what might be a good course of treatment. Just starting on medications doesn't answer the question of what is the problem to begin with and can often mislead.

Similar questions

A 33-year-old member asked:

Can you suggest how to get anti depressants for myself?

2 doctor answers3 doctors weighed in
Dr. Adam Tripp
Psychiatry 16 years experience
Only a physician: You would need to see your pcp or a psychiatrist, and after evaluating you, if they feel antidepressants could help your mood or anxiety symptoms, they can prescribe them for you, but you can't purchase them yourself.
Last updated Nov 27, 2017


Content on HealthTap (including answers) should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment, and interactions on HealthTap do not create a doctor-patient relationship. Never disregard or delay professional medical advice in person because of anything on HealthTap. Call your doctor or 911 if you think you may have a medical emergency.