U.S. doctors online nowAsk doctors free
A 35-year-old member asked:

I can't use band-aids because i'm terribly allergic to the adhesive. what are my options?

1 doctor answer1 doctor weighed in
Dr. Camilla Graham
Internal Medicine - Infectious Disease 29 years experience
Paper tape: "paper tape" can be found in a drug store, and it tends to be less allergenic than band-aids. Use cotton gauze to cover the wound, and paper tape to keep it in place. It won't stick as well as band-aids, so will need to be replaced more frequently.
Created for people with ongoing healthcare needs but benefits everyone.

Similar questions

A 34-year-old member asked:

I'm allergic to adhesives in band-aids - what are my options for wound care?

5 doctor answers9 doctors weighed in
Dr. Nayla Mumneh
Allergy and Immunology 31 years experience
Self adhesive bandag: There are options such as self adhesive bandages. Best is to have a patch test with an allergist and find if you are allergic to latex or the adhesive and make more informed decisions on what to avoid.
Created for people with ongoing healthcare needs but benefits everyone.

Related questions

A 48-year-old member asked:
Do wounds heal faster when they are covered with band-aids?
2 doctor answers6 doctors weighed in
A 45-year-old member asked:
Do band-aids have antiseptic properties?
1 doctor answer3 doctors weighed in
A 43-year-old member asked:
Why do band-aids reduce pain? Or is it just a placebo effect?
1 doctor answer1 doctor weighed in
A 34-year-old member asked:
Will using a couple of band-aids stop nipples showing through a non-padded swim suit?
1 doctor answer3 doctors weighed in
A 41-year-old female asked:
Should i put band aids over shingles rash?
1 doctor answer2 doctors weighed in
Last updated Feb 7, 2013
Connect with a U.S. board-certified doctor by text or video anytime, anywhere.
24/7 visits - just $39!
50% off with $15/month membership


Content on HealthTap (including answers) should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment, and interactions on HealthTap do not create a doctor-patient relationship. Never disregard or delay professional medical advice in person because of anything on HealthTap. Call your doctor or 911 if you think you may have a medical emergency.