U.S. doctors online nowAsk doctors free
A 56-year-old member asked:

Can a fungus like athletes foot take root in perineum area? as an avid cyclist/swimmer/runner i think it arises. what to do to get rid of it?

3 doctor answers10 doctors weighed in
Dr. Francine Yep
Family Medicine 32 years experience
Jock itch: [although you don't have to be a jock to qualify]. Fungus loves moisture. Change out of damp garments. Dry well. Use powder [not corn starch]. Wear loose clothes which breathe [like cotton]. You can use over-the-counter athlete foot's cream. Boric acid is an old fashioned remedy that works too.
Dr. Lori Wagner
Internal Medicine 28 years experience
Not really.Dry,cream: Fungus is all over your body. When an area of the body stays wet for a long time, it can proliferate. So it is not really spreading...Just popping up in different places. Prevention is key; try to keep the area as dry as possible. Shower immediately after exercise and dry well; use powders to absorb moisture. If the infection takes hold, use topical creams first-line.
Dr. Jeffrey Kass
Podiatry 29 years experience
A fungus can: Lie anywhere on the body. Skin is skin. If indeed it is fungus an antifungal should work. The problem you may have is figuring out a way to prevent it from coming back particularly if you feel you are getting it from cycling. Ssee a dermatologist to confirm the diagnosis as that is a difficult anatomical region to self examine.

90,000 U.S. doctors in 147 specialties are here to answer your questions or offer you advice, prescriptions, and more. Get help now:

Ask doctors free
Educational text
Talk to a doctor
24/7 visits - just $39!
50% off with $15/month membership
Last updated Dec 3, 2018
Connect with a U.S. board-certified doctor by text or video anytime, anywhere.
24/7 visits - just $39!
50% off with $15/month membership


Content on HealthTap (including answers) should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment, and interactions on HealthTap do not create a doctor-patient relationship. Never disregard or delay professional medical advice in person because of anything on HealthTap. Call your doctor or 911 if you think you may have a medical emergency.