I'm allergic to adhesives in band-aids - what are my options for wound care?

Dr. Nayla Mumneh
Allergy and Immunology 30 years experience
Self adhesive bandag: There are options such as self adhesive bandages. Best is to have a patch test with an allergist and find if you are allergic to latex or the adhesive and make more informed decisions on what to avoid.
Dr. Scott Bolhack
Wound care 36 years experience
Adhesives : Allergies to wound products are not uncommon. There are dressings that have silicon as the 'adhesive' and patients have very little reaction to these dressings. Another way to dress a wound is to wrap the entire affair in a roll of gauze and then use tape on the gauze and not the skin.
Dr. Payam Rafat
Podiatry 23 years experience
Gauze: You could your sterile gauze and cover it with roll gauze and secure it with tape. Avoid applying the tape directly on the skin. Place the tape on the bandage.
Dr. Tharesh Udupa
Podiatry 23 years experience
Guaze: You should use dry sterile guaze next to your skin so that you do not develop rashes from the adhesives. Make sure to put tape on the guaze to secure it in place and not onto the skin.
Dr. Martin Raff
Dr. Martin Raff commented
Infectious Disease 57 years experience
If you use an antibiotic cream or ointment on the gauze it will be less prone to adherence to the wound and therefore easier to remove.
May 4, 2013
Dr. Robert Dorsey
37 years experience
Other products: You can use veil, mepitel, foam products and then cover with soft kling. Cover this with tubigrip.