U.S. doctors online nowAsk doctors free
A 34-year-old member asked:

I'm allergic to adhesives in band-aids - what are my options for wound care?

5 doctor answers9 doctors weighed in
Dr. Nayla Mumneh
Allergy and Immunology 30 years experience
Self adhesive bandag: There are options such as self adhesive bandages. Best is to have a patch test with an allergist and find if you are allergic to latex or the adhesive and make more informed decisions on what to avoid.
Dr. Scott Bolhack
Wound care 36 years experience
Adhesives : Allergies to wound products are not uncommon. There are dressings that have silicon as the 'adhesive' and patients have very little reaction to these dressings. Another way to dress a wound is to wrap the entire affair in a roll of gauze and then use tape on the gauze and not the skin.
Dr. Payam Rafat
Podiatry 23 years experience
Gauze: You could your sterile gauze and cover it with roll gauze and secure it with tape. Avoid applying the tape directly on the skin. Place the tape on the bandage.
Dr. Tharesh Udupa
Podiatry 23 years experience
Guaze: You should use dry sterile guaze next to your skin so that you do not develop rashes from the adhesives. Make sure to put tape on the guaze to secure it in place and not onto the skin.
Dr. Martin Raff
Dr. Martin Raff commented
Infectious Disease 57 years experience
If you use an antibiotic cream or ointment on the gauze it will be less prone to adherence to the wound and therefore easier to remove.
May 4, 2013
Dr. Robert Dorsey
37 years experience
Other products: You can use veil, mepitel, foam products and then cover with soft kling. Cover this with tubigrip.

90,000 U.S. doctors in 147 specialties are here to answer your questions or offer you advice, prescriptions, and more. Get help now:

Ask doctors free
Educational text
Talk to a doctor
24/7 visits - just $39!
50% off with $15/month membership

Similar questions

A 35-year-old member asked:

I can't use band-aids because i'm terribly allergic to the adhesive. What are my options?

1 doctor answer1 doctor weighed in
Dr. Camilla Graham
Internal Medicine - Infectious Disease 28 years experience
Paper tape: "paper tape" can be found in a drug store, and it tends to be less allergenic than band-aids. Use cotton gauze to cover the wound, and paper tape to keep it in place. It won't stick as well as band-aids, so will need to be replaced more frequently.

Related questions

A 43-year-old member asked:
1 doctor answer1 doctor weighed in
A 37-year-old member asked:
1 doctor answer1 doctor weighed in
A 34-year-old member asked:
1 doctor answer3 doctors weighed in
A 33-year-old member asked:
1 doctor answer1 doctor weighed in
Last updated Sep 28, 2016


Content on HealthTap (including answers) should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment, and interactions on HealthTap do not create a doctor-patient relationship. Never disregard or delay professional medical advice in person because of anything on HealthTap. Call your doctor or 911 if you think you may have a medical emergency.