What should i do if i am bleeding later in pregnancy?

Dr. Ian Taras
Seek medical advice: Bleeding anytime in pregnancy does not mean bad things, but could. Its always better to seek a health care professional to physically check you out. A rule of thumb is that if the blood is dark and slight amount, then it is probably old and if it is bright red then that may be more concerning. That being said, a port-wine darker blood in significant quantity can also be bad. See a doctor!
Dr. Pam Yoder
Specializes in Maternal-Fetal Medicine
Call OB, Labor/Deliv: Bleeding in the second half of pregnancy is often associated with the placenta. It can be low or cover the cervix or pulling away from the wall of the uterus. Bleeding might also be due to abruption or other causes. Evaluation by an OB is needed to find the cause and risk to mom+baby. Calling asap for ambulance or ride to labor/delivery is important especially if alone or any risk factor, eg, age.
Dr. Christopher Powers
There are only two places blood can be coming from late in pregnancy - placental separation as Dr. Livingston says, or the cervix. If that latter, it often happens after intercourse, is mild, reflects the cervix's friability, and IS NOT a reason to stop having sex.
Oct 31, 2011