Jerome, ID

i have had a torn labrum and rotator cuff in my left shoulder for over a year now, will it heal on its own? my dr refuses to give me a referral

Dr. Mark Hutchinson
Orthopedic Surgery 34 years experience
See a shoulder doc: Neither a labral tear or complete cuff tear will heal by me selves. In fact cuff tears can get worse if left untreated. Insist on a referral.
Dr. Kevin Kaplan
Sports Medicine 18 years experience
It will not heal: A torn tendon and cartilage in the shoulder does not typically heal. It doesnt necessarily mean you need surgery. Rehabilitation for small rotator cuff tears and labral tears can be effective in relieving symptoms. Having said that continuing to monitor the rotator cuff tear is important to ensure that it is not getting worse. Please see my website for more information. www.kevinkaplanmd.com.
Dr. James Bicos
Orthopedic Surgery 22 years experience
It will not heal: A labral tear and a rotator cuff tear will not heal on their own. Sometimes, though, even though something (like an mri) says there is a tear, it may not be the full source of the pain. I would recommend an evaluation by an orthopedic surgeon. If you cannot get a referral call some offices and see what an evaluation would cost. You may want to do it that way.

Last updated Nov 28, 2017