Would it be wise to have cosmetic dentistry before getting a cavity filling?

Dr. Ajay Dhankhar
19 years experience
Whitening 4 Sure: Bleaching your teeth prior to filling is certainly adviseable.
Dr. Arnold Malerman
Orthodontics 54 years experience
No: Treat the infection (cavity) first, then do cosmetic care. Ask your dentist to do a thorough diagnosis and treatment planning for you, then discuss your options with your dentist.
Dr. I. Jay Freedman
Dentistry 44 years experience
Not only treat the decay (infection) in any teeth required, but also make sure the gum tissue is healthy and infection free before cosmetics
Mar 31, 2013
Dr. Robert Devin
Dr. Robert Devin commented
Dentistry 48 years experience
In dentistry like medicine must treat disease first. However provisional care can be provided that is supportive of the patient aesthetics while the disease is eliminated. However,any cosmetic care over the disease is doomed.
Nov 17, 2013
Dr. Max Arocha
Dentistry 19 years experience
Not at all: Fill the cavity first. Then have cosmetic dentistry second. Cavities that are treated early (when they are small) rarely lead to root canals.
Dr. Lon Kessler
Specializes in Dentistry
No: It is important to take care of any dental work needed prior to having any cosmetic dental procedures. It is important to take care of decayed teeth , fractured teeth and periodontal (gum problems) as soon as possible.
Dr. John Thaler
Prosthodontics 42 years experience
No: Always take care of the basics first. You must have a good foundation on which to build. However, consider the shades involved in the filling and the esthetic treatment. Be sure that the filling will match your esthetic shade. Same is true for whitening -- whiten first.
Dr. I. Jay Freedman
Dentistry 44 years experience
No!: While it is possible that all that is required for one's dental care is one or more front tooth fillings-so cavities, fillings and cosmetics are one in the same course of care, all cosmetic dentistry must be done on a sound base! that means healthy gums, no active decay and a balanced occlusion or bite. Each individual's needs and desired outcomes are different and so a consult would be good!
Dr. Candy Sebold
General Practice 42 years experience
Evaluate first: It is wise to have a thorough exam and radiographs prior to cosmetic dentistry. Once your periodontal status is determined adequate for cosmetics, your dentist can help you prioritize which treatments to do first. If there is deep decay that must be dealt with, having a treatment plan in place will determine how to take care of the decay cosmetically.
Dr. Kenneth Grossman
Endodontics 45 years experience
No: Decay, gum disease, root canals should all be addressed before cosmetic dentistry. Engineers don't construct a building without a strong foundation! same with dentistry. Sound foundation, then cosmetic dentistry!
Dr. Dennis Cufone
Dentistry 33 years experience
Get healthy: As others have mentioned, a healthy foundation is the most predictable factor to successful cosmetic dentistry. Extensive cosmetic work needs to be planned out thoughtfully, so while you are doing that, get the cavities taken care of!
Dr. George Ayoub
Cosmetic Dentistry 19 years experience
No: Cavity can be removed at the same time.
Dr. Kevin Nail
Dentistry 12 years experience
Cosmetic dentistry: I always complete needed work and remove cavities on my patients prior to cosmetic treatment. I also make sure my patients have acceptable oral hygiene before cosmetic procedures. If you aren't taking care of your teeth now, you won't be able to take care of them once you have porcelain restorations on them. That being said, if you only have a few small cavities, have all procedure done together