How do you get rid of toenail fungus?

Medicine prescribed: For treatment of toenail fungus, a primary care doctor or a dermatologist (skin doctor) can evaluate and start medication. Often, a culture (sample of the fungus) is taken to be tested at the lab. Oral anti-fungals are used. Sometimes, the dermatologist or podiatrist (foot doctor) will remove the bad toenail to let a new one grow in. Some podiatrists are using a laser to treat toenail fungus.
Dr. Arnold Beresh
Podiatry 42 years experience
Several ways: There are manytopical remedies, there is prescription antfungal memdication to take as a pill, thre is laser therapy.
Dr. Alan Ettinger
Podiatry 50 years experience
At: My office we treat fungal nails with oral medication and we use laser which we find very effective.
Dr. Adam Ringler
Podiatry 19 years experience
Toenail fungus: Toenail fungus is very difficult to treat and there is nothing that works 100% of the time. I usually described for possible treatment options to my patients: #1 topical creams and polish #2 removal of nail #3 oral antifungal medications, which may affect the liver and need to be monitored #4 laser nail treatment.
Dr. Ronan Monsef
Specializes in Family Medicine
Medication: There are many over the counter products that quite honestly don't work too well. The most effective treatment is usually prescription antifungals that are taken orally.
Dr. Morris Westfried
Dermatology 47 years experience
Lamisil, (terbinafine) laser: Lamisil (terbinafine) can be conpunded with DMSO and use topically as a prescription to avoid oral medications. Oral lamisl is about 58 effective and not in extensive cases. Lasers are now available which can reduce nail fungus including the sciton.
Dr. Alex Garcia
Podiatric surgery 22 years experience
Three options: There are three main treatment options for toenail fungus. The first option is an oral medication. The tablets although highly effective do have some possible side effects and consequences. Direct doctor supervision is needed. The second option is laser treatment. This option is also highly effective, in my experience, without any significant side effect. The third option is a topical medication.
Dr. Morris Westfried
Dermatology 47 years experience
Lamisil, (terbinafine) laser: Oral Lamisil (terbinafine) taken over 3 months can clear toenail fungus. Tg more extensive the fungus the less responsive. Blood needs to be monitored during treatment for possible liver toxicity. Topical 2 per cent Lamisil (terbinafine) in dmsocan penetrate the nail without systemic side effects. New laser treatment may clear nail fungus but it is unclear whether results will last long term.
Dr. Arnold Beresh
Podiatry 42 years experience
Many ways to try: There is no sure fire method. Treatments include everything from topical medication, to oral anti-fungal medication, to new laser treatment.
Dr. Alex Garcia
Podiatric surgery 22 years experience
Dr. Randy Lisch
Podiatry 39 years experience
Multiple answers: The most effective treatment is with the use of a laser. Oral medications work sometimes, but you have to be monitored with blood tests on a regular basis. Any topical medication, Vicks rub, vinegar, clorox soaks, teatree oil, are virtually ineffective. See a podiatrist that offers all of the above choices.
Dr. Howard Fox
Podiatry 43 years experience
The most effective: Treatment for toenail fungus is oral lamisil, (terbinafine) which has recently been shown to be much safer than we used to think. The fda recently dropped the blood test requirement on this. Also, pulse therapy has been shown to have the same cure rate, where you only need to take 14 pills in 6 months instead of 1 pill a day for 3 months.
Dr. David Sabet
Podiatry 43 years experience
Prepare for war: There are only two effective methods to kill the fungus responsible for the infection. Either have laser treatment or a 90+ day course of Lamisil (terbinafine) tablets. Each has its own pros and cons but none of the over the counter or home remedies will work.
Dr. Alex Garcia
Podiatric surgery 22 years experience
Dr. Libby Putnam
Podiatry 13 years experience
Several treatments.: The reason you hear so many different treatments for toenail fungus is because there is no perfect, sure-fire treatment that works 100% of the time. I've seen vaporub work, as well as other natural oil remedies, but rarely. You can also try laser therapy, antifungal creams, paints, or even oral medications if your doctor deems you healthy enough to take them.