does being blind qualify you for disability?

Dr. David Kira
Ophthalmology 21 years experience
Sometimes: The generally accepted definition of "legally blind" is usually 20/200 or less in the better seeing eye or less than 10 degrees of vision. This qualifies for the income tax deduction and may qualify you for disability. Best to check with your carrier.
Dr. Neal Sher
LASIK Surgery 50 years experience
Sometimes: There are strict definitions of visual disability depending on the governmental agency ie. Social security etc. Visual loss measurement is complicated and depends upon more than poor acuity in reading the eye chart. If you think you are disabled due to visual problems, call you state or local agency that helps low vision individuals. They could provide resources.
Dr. Bruce Saran
Ophthalmology 33 years experience
Depends : Disability is defined by not having the physical and / or mental capacity to work. Vision is one component. It depends on your insurance policy, state and federal criteria and the potential demands on our job. They do have the right to see if you are trainable in another job.