U.S. doctors online nowAsk doctors free
A 41-year-old member asked:

How can i reduce the appearance of scars?

2 doctor answers6 doctors weighed in
Dr. Morris Westfried
Dermatology 47 years experience
Mederma: Me derma or bio oil can reduce the appearance of scars.
Dr. Steven Harris
Plastic Surgery 38 years experience
Vigorous massage!: Vigorous massage with vitamin e, cocoa butter or scar treatment products like Mederma can soften, somewhat smooth and improve the color of scars, especially recent scars. Unfortunately, nothing can erase a scar that goes deeply into the skin. In severe cases, surgical revision of the scar can really help. Talk to a plastic surgeon if 2-3 months of scar massage hasn't made enough improvement.

Similar questions

Suwanee, GA
A 19-year-old female asked:

Is there any way to reduce the appearance of scars?

1 doctor answer1 doctor weighed in
Dr. Douglas Tavenner, jr.
51 years experience
Cocoa Butter: Long term remedy is cocoa butter. Many lotions use this in their formula with other components.

Related questions

A 51-year-old member asked:
How can you lighten or reduce the appearance of scars on your neck cause by razor cuts?
1 doctor answer2 doctors weighed in
A 33-year-old member asked:
Will coconut oil reduce appearance of surgical scars?
2 doctor answers2 doctors weighed in
A 26-year-old member asked:
How can you reduce the appearance of road rash scars?
2 doctor answers5 doctors weighed in
A 21-year-old female asked:
Does vitamin E cream reduce the appearance of scars?
1 doctor answer1 doctor weighed in
Last updated Feb 18, 2015

People also asked

Related topics

Connect with a U.S. board-certified doctor by text or video anytime, anywhere.
24/7 visits - just $39!
50% off with $15/month membership


Content on HealthTap (including answers) should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment, and interactions on HealthTap do not create a doctor-patient relationship. Never disregard or delay professional medical advice in person because of anything on HealthTap. Call your doctor or 911 if you think you may have a medical emergency.