i am 4 weeks pregnant and because of the high pollen my throat is very sore. what can i take to soothe my throat?

Dr. David Fein
Specializes in Preventive Medicine
Sore throat lozenges: Congrats on your pregnancy! believe it or not, pregnancy and OTC (over the counter) meds are not mutually exclusive -- 9 months is a long time to go without a headache tablet or an allergy medication! many OTC meds are safe in pregnancy but make sure to check with your ob/gyn. For now, many of the names you know -- cepacol, chloraseptic, hall's, and ricola are fine.
Dr. Mark Loury
ENT and Head and Neck Surgery 39 years experience
Benadryl (diphenhydramine): Benadryl is effective for allergy and safe during pregnancy. Consider tylenol (acetaminophen) or cepacol lozenges for the discomfort. Always best however to consult with your obgyn or person who will be managing your pregnancy before starting any rx or otc meds. Throat coat tea is soothing, pollen from trees may be starting this time of the year.