U.S. doctors online nowAsk doctors free
A 33-year-old member asked:

What results can be expected from a successful cardioversion?

2 doctor answers4 doctors weighed in
Dr. Alon Gitig
Cardiology 21 years experience
Back 2 normal rhythm: Successful cardioversion, by delivering electrical energy externally to the heart, should interrupt the abnormal rhythm, and "reset" the heart's rhythm by allowing the usual route of electricity generation/transmission to take over again. Any symptoms caused by the irregular rhythm (palpitations, shortness of breath, fatigue, chest pressure, dizziness) should immediately vanish at that point.
Dr. Jason Klein
Internal Medicine - Cardiology 18 years experience
Rhythm: For cardioversion from atrial fibrillation to normal sinus rhythm success would be restoration of normal conduction. Patient may notice decreased palpitations, less fatigue, less dizziness, less shortness of breath and other symptoms.

90,000 U.S. doctors in 147 specialties are here to answer your questions or offer you advice, prescriptions, and more. Get help now:

Ask doctors free
Educational text
Talk to a doctor
24/7 visits - just $39!
50% off with $15/month membership

Related questions

A 34-year-old member asked:
3 doctor answers7 doctors weighed in
A 43-year-old member asked:
2 doctor answers6 doctors weighed in
A 36-year-old member asked:
3 doctor answers5 doctors weighed in
A 40-year-old member asked:
2 doctor answers3 doctors weighed in
A 40-year-old member asked:
2 doctor answers3 doctors weighed in
Last updated May 6, 2016
Connect with a U.S. board-certified doctor by text or video anytime, anywhere.
24/7 visits - just $39!
50% off with $15/month membership


Content on HealthTap (including answers) should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment, and interactions on HealthTap do not create a doctor-patient relationship. Never disregard or delay professional medical advice in person because of anything on HealthTap. Call your doctor or 911 if you think you may have a medical emergency.