what is dystonia and what causes it? started lithium therapy 3 weeks ago and developed involuntary muscle movements mostly in back and all of torso 2 weeks later. lithium level still below therapeutic, now stopped med 3 days ago

Hello. : Hello. Dystonia is a movement disorder which can cause painful involuntary muscle contractions involving one or more muscles. There can be a genetic predisposition for dystonia or it can be due to disease. There are many medications which can can cause dystonia - lithium is one of them. Please talk with your doctor about stopping lithium and your side effects.