could a large solid bump at the base of my tongue be a tumor? it is far back, almost into my throat and touch my uvula. i have a sore throat too and my tongue is a little sore. i have noticed it before but it seemed to have gone away.

4 doctor answers
Dr. Laura McMullen
20 years experience Pediatrics
Without : Without being able to examine you, it's difficult to say what the bump on your tongue could be. You should give your doctor a call and have them take a look at it. They may be able to tell you whether it is anything to worry about or may send you to an otolaryngologist (ear, nose and throat specialist). Good luck!
Answered on Oct 3, 2016
Dr. Robert Brodsky
57 years experience Dentistry
Yes: Have an oral surgeon look at it asap. It could be nothing but local irritation, but it doesn't sound that way. Tumor means swelling. This can be caused by simpkle local iritation, or be something more serious. Have it looked at asap!
Answered on Mar 12, 2020
Dr. Douglas Tavenner, jr.
49 years experience Cosmetic Dentistry
Need Consultation: Too many variables present to just wait. Get and appointment with and oral surgeon for an evaluation (possible biopsy) of this bump. This may be a nuisance or it could be very serious. However the serious side is significant to warrant to know what it is now !
Answered on Nov 28, 2017
1
Dr. Joseph Woods
27 years experience Pathology
It might be a cyst, like a thyroglossal duct cyst.
Mar 29, 2013
Dr. Kenneth Murdock
52 years experience Radiation Oncology
Perhaps ENT speciali: Depending on where you live, an oral surgeon might refer you to a ENT surgeon for the biopsy.
Answered on Jun 10, 2014