what does it mean when i have my period for a month? i've been on birth-control since april 2011 and then in november i had my period like normal, but it didn't stop until after my next period. i just ended my period and i thinks it's going to happen agai

Dr. Laura McMullen
20 years experience Pediatrics
Prolonged : Prolonged vaginal bleeding not related to your period is called dysfunctional uterine bleeding. Depending on your age, there are a variety of things that could be causing it such as a hormone imbalance, annovulation, pregnancy, pelvic inflammatory disease, uterine fibroids, trauma, menopause, inherited bleeding disorders, and rarely, cancer. You should contact your doctor for an evaluation. It's important that the cause of your bleeding be found in order to give you the proper treatment to stop it. Odds are, it's a hormone imbalance. You may need a different birth control pill to prevent the prolonged bleeding from happening again. Good luck!
Answered on Oct 3, 2016