I have a swollen tonsil and extreme pain. should i go to the er? one of my tonsils is swollen, my throat is swollen, i am having a hard time breathing, massive headaches - shooting pains... only on the right side of my head, heart flutters and shakes. i h

Dr. Thomas Lamperti
Facial Plastic Surgery 21 years experience
If : If you are having trouble breathing then it may be a good idea to go to an er (or urgent care clinic) to be seen sooner and to get an examination.
Dr. Michael Wolfe
ENT and Head and Neck Surgery 23 years experience
Trouble : Trouble breathing can be a scary symptom and an emergency. If youfeel it is an emergency then definitely go to the er. A swollen tonsila nd sore throat can be as simple as a virus or can be serious. A full history would include how long youhave had these symptoms. If it is acute and accompanied by fever, then you should see a primary care doctor for a possible strep throat. You doctor can determine if this is appropriate. If it has been there longer than 2-3 weeks, is getting worse, you have other lumps int he neck, then you should go to your doctor to rule out other serious conditions.

Last updated Aug 25, 2020