if i missed a period, does that mean i am pregnant?

Dr. Craig Keathley
No: It is certainly the first possibility we think of, particularly in someone who was previously on a predictable cycle pattern. A simple urine pregnancy test is the first step. If it is negative other avenues should be explored. Other possibilities for delayed menses are hormonal contraceptives that suppress menses or anovulation. Your physician can help sort out the cause.
Dr. Alan Patterson
Not necessarily: There are many causes for a missed period, if your preg test is negative, please see your gyn for an evaluation.
Dr. Jeff Livingston
Don’t guess.: Take a test.  they are the same tests used in a doctors office. They can detect a pregnancy 7-10 days after conception. The best time to take one is when you miss your period.  if you doubt the result you can repeat it in 1-2 days. If you were pregnant the hormone level would rise enough for detection.