Is it okay to get lasik surgery done if you previously have had radial keratotomy?

4 doctors weighed in across 3 answers
Dr. Jay Bradley answered

Specializes in Cornea, Cataract, & Refractive (LASIK & PRK) Surgery

Rarely: I generally perform prk with Mitomycin c for vision correction in stable radial keratotomy patients. If the prescription is unstable, the patient may need to be stabilized with collagen crosslinking prior to prk. In rare cases, lasik can be considered although there is higher risk of flap complications.

Answered 6/30/2014

5.5k views

No, PRK may be OK: Lasik is not generally a great idea after previous radial keratotomy as there is a fear that the rk incisions can come apart with the creation of a lasik flap. If all else is normal and the refraction is stable, great success can be achieved with prk, as the creation of a flap is not needed.

Answered 1/17/2014

5.5k views

Possibly: I have had excellent results performing lasik after rk. There is definitely a concern regarding the rk incisions, but I have never seen a major issue with this.

Answered 3/26/2013

5.5k views