Fairfield, OH

I am 47 my periods have cjanged to a few days a month now for the past two weeks i was on heavy for a few days spotting for about 7 days now heavy with bad cramps is this menopause or should i get checked for something else?

Dr. Barbara Coulter-Smith
See your doctor: This could be dysfunctional bleeding related to perimenopause but you need to be seen to have tests to rule out pathologic and potentially serious causes of abnormally heavy bleeding. You could also become anemic so this also needs to be checked.
Dr. Lillian Schapiro
See a GYN: At 47, changes in your cycle may be part of the natural changes in your hormones, a polyp, fibroids or even cancer. See your gynecologist for an evaluation.

Last updated Oct 23, 2012