U.S. doctors online nowAsk doctors free
A 34-year-old member asked:

Which doctor should i go for pink eye/eye infection?

3 doctor answers5 doctors weighed in
Ophthalmology 35 years experience
Ophthalmologist : You can either go to an ophthalmologist (md) or an optometrist for an eye infection.
Dr. Stephen Hamilton
Ophthalmology 33 years experience
Any general: Ophthalmologist should be able to help you.
Dr. Allen Fein
Specializes in Family Medicine
Your friendly GP/FP: Pink eye (viral or allergic) and bacterial conjuctivitis are usually straight forward uncomplicated problems that any general physician or family physician should be able to help. Remove any contact lenses when the eyes get such problems by the way. Warm saline compresses may help. The purpose of seeing a physician is to see if topical antibiotics are needed and to check for any foreign bodies.

90,000 U.S. doctors in 147 specialties are here to answer your questions or offer you advice, prescriptions, and more. Get help now:

Ask doctors free
Educational text
Talk to a doctor
24/7 visits - just $39!
50% off with $15/month membership

Similar questions

A 21-year-old member asked:

How does the doctor diagnose pink eye?

2 doctor answers9 doctors weighed in
Dr. Danny Proffitt
Family Medicine 44 years experience
Several ways: Usually this is a clinical diagnosis it is based on the history given, the symptoms, the examination of the eye(s) the type of discharge, and other historical and exam findings. There are some rapid tests to determine if the infection is viral or bacterial. One can also do a smear of the discharge and stain it and determine the type by looking at the slide. Culture can be taken too!

Related questions

A 46-year-old member asked:
1 doctor answer1 doctor weighed in
A 38-year-old member asked:
2 doctor answers4 doctors weighed in
A 44-year-old member asked:
1 doctor answer2 doctors weighed in
Last updated Jul 1, 2020


Content on HealthTap (including answers) should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment, and interactions on HealthTap do not create a doctor-patient relationship. Never disregard or delay professional medical advice in person because of anything on HealthTap. Call your doctor or 911 if you think you may have a medical emergency.