Are ringworms from cats and dogs?

Dr. Evan Altman
Can carry it: Ringworm is actually a fungal infection of the skin (dermatophytosis) so the name is misleading. Yes -- dogs and cats can carry it and pass it to humans. Ringworm likes moist, warm conditions. For most people it is an itchy reddish annoying area on the skin. Look for bald spots on pets as the source of the ringworm. You and your pet can be treated with an antifungal to solve the problem.
Yes....but: Ringworm is just a lay term for a fungus that can be found in many sites. Furry animals, dirt & humans are the main carriers that infect humans. Before you give away fido or kitty be aware they are not the only source.