how dangerous of a surgery is a heart transplant?

Dr. Jeffrey Everett
Thoracic Surgery 32 years experience
Better than altern.: Heart transplant recipients can now days expect nearly a 90% 1 yr survival and 75% at 5 years. This therapy is for patients with end stage heart failure who otherwise have a poor quality of life and limited prognosis without transplant or lvad.
Dr. Matthew Hennig
Thoracic Surgery 19 years experience
Major surgery: Obviously it can be vary dangerous. If someone is getting a transplant, they already have serious medical issues that won't necessarily disappear overnight with a new heart. You also have the worry that they new heart will not function well after being implanted. That said, in the right patient, a transplant is a life saver. Discussion with your surgeon and cardiologist is important.