Bleeding in my mouth. is it dangerous that i swallowed some of the blood?

Dr. Rebecca Canner
General Practice 25 years experience
No: It is not dangerous to swallow blood. Blood gets broken down and digested in your stomach and intestinal tract. A large amount of blood (such as would be present with a bleeding stomach ulcer) can cause vomiting or have a laxative effect and cause loose black or maroon stools. However, swallowing a small amount of blood, as from bleeding gums or a nosebleed won't hurt you.
Created for people with ongoing healthcare needs but benefits everyone.
Dr. Theodore Davantzis
Dentistry 41 years experience
It's your blood..: .. you're not going to catch any diseases from yourself. I would be more concerned where the blood came from. If you have periodontal disease, it's best to be seen by a periodontist to have your condition treated.
Dr. Robert Moretta
Dentistry 40 years experience
Bleeding: Swallowing small amount of blood will not hurt you. You should be more concerned that you have blood in your mouth. Chances are that you have periodontal disease which can result in a loss of teeth. I recommend that you see a dentist ASAP.
Last updated Mar 31, 2020