Bleeding in my mouth. is it dangerous that i swallowed some of the blood?

5 doctors weighed in across 3 answers
Dr. Rebecca Canner answered

Specializes in General Practice

No: It is not dangerous to swallow blood. Blood gets broken down and digested in your stomach and intestinal tract. A large amount of blood (such as would be present with a bleeding stomach ulcer) can cause vomiting or have a laxative effect and cause loose black or maroon stools. However, swallowing a small amount of blood, as from bleeding gums or a nosebleed won't hurt you.

Answered 7/15/2018

5.7k views

Dr. Theodore Davantzis answered

Specializes in Dentistry

It's your blood..: .. you're not going to catch any diseases from yourself. I would be more concerned where the blood came from. If you have periodontal disease, it's best to be seen by a periodontist to have your condition treated.

Answered 7/14/2018

1.4k views

Dr. Robert Moretta answered

Specializes in Dentistry

Bleeding: Swallowing small amount of blood will not hurt you. You should be more concerned that you have blood in your mouth. Chances are that you have periodontal disease which can result in a loss of teeth. I recommend that you see a dentist ASAP.

Answered 3/31/2020

1.4k views