does double vision indicate glaucoma?

Dr. Robert Chang
Specializes in Ophthalmology
No: Typically, double vision can either be an eye alignment problem/brain problem or some type of refractive problem in the individual eye (monocular double vision) such as astigmatism, cataract, retinal wrinkle, etc. So glaucoma patients can have a problem that causes double vision, but double vision does not indicate glaucoma.
Dr. Benjamin Chun
Ophthalmology 28 years experience
Normally no: Rarely, you could have central loss, splitting your central vision, and patients have described a sort of a double vision from one eye. But 99.9% of the time, it indicates other problems like lazy eye, or cataracts, or rarely stroke and aneurysm. Best to get it checked out.
Dr. Beth Friedland
Ophthalmology 42 years experience
Usually not: Double vision is usually caused by an eye muscle problem or a nerve problem controlling the eye muscles. In rare cases monocular diplopia or seeing double out of one eye could be related to cataracts. Otherwise the only way to get double vision from glaucoma would be to have a defect in the central vision of both eyes, called split fixation, very rare in and in advanced glaucoma.