what is meant by "high risk pregnancy?

Dr. Nikolaos Zacharias
Maternal-Fetal Medicine 26 years experience
Good question!: Pregnancy is a high-risk condition for both mother and fetus; in fact the transition from fetal to neonatal life is the most dangerous period for any individual and the pregnancy and puerperium present specific challenges to maternal health and life. Only post-hoc can one characterize any given pregnancy as unremarkable; prospectively all pregnancies are at high risk for complications!
Dr. Pam Yoder
Specializes in Maternal-Fetal Medicine
Threat 2 mom or baby: The term high=risk has been applied in many ways to many pregnancies, causing much anxiety for women and their families. As a maternal-fetal medicine subspecialist, I have seen thousands of patients with that designation and tried to put things in perspective for them. In the simplest terms such a pregnancy is one at higher than average risk for adverse outcome for mom or baby. Lmk if links needed.