what causes postpartum psychosis?

Dr. Nikolaos Zacharias
Maternal-Fetal Medicine 26 years experience
Hormones, genes.: 2% of the population have psychosis at one time of their lives, and postpartum periods are particularly likely to exacerbate underlying psychopathology because of the profound hormonal fluxes that occur. Prompt medical attention is essential to avoid dire outcomes!
Dr. Jeffrey Satinover
Mood disorder: About 1/1000 women experience postpartum psychosis (ppp), usually within the first few days of delivery. It appears to be the severest version of postpartum depression (1/8 women). Women with a prior history of depression are at greater risk for both than those without, and those with a history of bipolar disorder appear at special risk for ppp. You should discuss with your ob.