U.S. doctors online nowAsk doctors free
A 37-year-old member asked:

What can i do to manage my malocclusion at home?

4 doctor answers11 doctors weighed in
Dr. Jeffrey Miller
Rheumatology 53 years experience
Bracing: Try an athletic mouthpiec for$1 at the sports store and go to a friendly inexpensive orthodontist for advice.
Created for people with ongoing healthcare needs but benefits everyone.
Dr. David Schleimer
A Verified Doctor commented
A US doctor answered Learn more
A 1$ mouthpiece will not fix a malocclusion. An inexpensive orthodontist, just may turn out to be costly. The only thing I do understand from the answer is "friendly".
Jan 1, 2013
Dr. Arnold Malerman
Orthodontics 55 years experience
The purpose of a mouthguard is to protect teeth from trauma. It's not an active treatment appliance to correct malocclusion (malrelationship of teeth, jaws, or both). Don't waste your $. Make sure you see a qualified University trained Orthodontic Specialist for initial examination (often no cost) and advice, and choice of financial plans. We're talking about your face, jaws, and teeth. If you needed brain surgery would you seek an "inexpensive Neurosurgeon," no matter how friendly? Ask yhour dentist to recommend the best Orthodontist in your area...it's cheaper in the long run.
Jul 24, 2013
Dr. Arnold Malerman
Orthodontics 55 years experience
Not much: About the same thing you could do to manage appendicitis or a club foot at home. Please go see an orthodontic specialist who can tell you what's wrong and what needs to be done to fix it. Then follow your orthodontist's instructions between visits to speed progress to a successful conclusion.
Created for people with ongoing healthcare needs but benefits everyone.
Dr. Thomas Tilson
Orthodontics 39 years experience
It depends: This is an interesting question. I would recommend that you go see a dentist or an orthodontist and ask that question directly. The reason i say this is that I do not know your present dental condition, it is very difficult to say what you can do at home. Take this question to the professional and ask for a good straight forward answer.
Created for people with ongoing healthcare needs but benefits everyone.
Dr. Hilary Baskin
Orthodontics 30 years experience
don't really see how this can be treated at home. I agree-- see an orthodontist
Aug 20, 2013
Dr. Gary Brigham
Orthodontics 53 years experience
You cannot: Malocclusions are best evaluated and treated by dental specialists with specific training. Attempts to manage or treat conditions with home remedies can often create conditions that exacerbate the problems. Consult with a dental specialist.
Created for people with ongoing healthcare needs but benefits everyone.

Related questions

A 46-year-old member asked:
Please tell me what does a "severe malocclusion" look like?
5 doctor answers8 doctors weighed in
A 17-year-old female asked:
What exactly is "Vertical occlusions" and "No 2 malocclusions"?
2 doctor answers2 doctors weighed in
A 31-year-old member asked:
What is a severe malocclusion and how can I tell what it looks like?
5 doctor answers10 doctors weighed in
A 42-year-old member asked:
How is malocclusion diagnosed by a dentist?
5 doctor answers10 doctors weighed in
Last updated Nov 28, 2017

People also asked

Related topics

Connect with a U.S. board-certified doctor by text or video anytime, anywhere.
24/7 visits - just $44!
50% off with $15/month membership


Content on HealthTap (including answers) should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment, and interactions on HealthTap do not create a doctor-patient relationship. Never disregard or delay professional medical advice in person because of anything on HealthTap. Call your doctor or 911 if you think you may have a medical emergency.