I'm 16 days past ovulation, and have been "spotting" for three days. i took a cheap home pregnancy test and it was negative, should i trust it?

4 doctors weighed in across 3 answers
Dr. Robert Grindstaff answered

Specializes in Addiction Medicine

if there is doubt check a serum pregnancy test.

Answered Dec 19, 2014

3.4k views

Dr. Timothy Brown answered

Specializes in Obstetrics and Gynecology

Cost mostly has to do with packaging and marketing, not reliability. These tests are remarkably accurate. The principal issue here is that you might be just very early and the hormone levels may not be high enough for detection. While you are probably OK rechecking in a week would make it much more definite

Answered Dec 19, 2014

3.4k views

Dr. Dariush Saghafi answered

Specializes in Neurology

A better event to mark is your expected start date of your period. You say you're 16 days past ovulation. However, HPT's are not designed to show positivity until the day you miss your period. So HOW MANY DAYS beyond your expected initiation date are you? I always suggest that patients wait at least 7 days beyond their expected date before testing and then, if negative wait another week.

Answered Dec 21, 2014

3.4k views