MN

I'm 16 days past ovulation, and have been "spotting" for three days. i took a cheap home pregnancy test and it was negative, should i trust it?

Dr. Robert Grindstaff
Addiction Medicine 39 years experience
Not really: if there is doubt check a serum pregnancy test.
Created for people with ongoing healthcare needs but benefits everyone.
Dr. Timothy Brown
Yes, but …: Cost mostly has to do with packaging and marketing, not reliability. These tests are remarkably accurate. The principal issue here is that you might be just very early and the hormone levels may not be high enough for detection. While you are probably OK rechecking in a week would make it much more definite
Dr. Dariush Saghafi
Neurology 34 years experience
Did you miss period?: A better event to mark is your expected start date of your period. You say you're 16 days past ovulation. However, HPT's are not designed to show positivity until the day you miss your period. So HOW MANY DAYS beyond your expected initiation date are you? I always suggest that patients wait at least 7 days beyond their expected date before testing and then, if negative wait another week.
Last updated Dec 21, 2014