what is fluoride for?

Dr. Robert Brodsky
Dentistry 58 years experience
Fluoride: Fluoride, for dental uses, is a chemical element that, when properly applied to tooth enamel, makes that enamel more resistant to being disolved by the acids tooth decay germs produce that create caries (cavities) Fluoride (Fl) can also become part of the tooth structure if it is ingested by children during the time their teeth are forming..
Dr. Sandra Eleczko
Dentistry 36 years experience
Fluoride: Fluoride is used to make the teeth harder and more resistant to decay. It becomes incorporated into the enamel structure, replacing a hydroxyl group in the enamel crystal structure. Because it is a bigger atom it makes the enamel harder for acids to attack and destroy the enamel.
Dr. Oswald Cameron-Morales
Dentistry 42 years experience
Fights decay: Fluoride is s natural mineral found in many foods and water. Tooth enamel looses minerals by the action of acids on the tooth( demineralization ) resulting in decay. Fluoride helps to replace some of those minerals ( remineralization) . However controversy exist on the use of fluoride due to its possible toxic effects in the body.
Dr. Gary Sandler
Dentistry 54 years experience
Fluoride: In dentistry, fluoride is used to strengthen the outer surface of the tooth- the enamel, and in some cases to reduce sensitivity.
Dr. Paul Grin
Dr. Paul Grin answered
Pain Management 36 years experience
Fluoride is mineral: that is proven to protect against tooth decay.