U.S. doctors online nowAsk doctors free
A 48-year-old member asked:

What can cause an itchy rash on pubic area?

2 doctor answers6 doctors weighed in
Dr. Joram Seggev
Specializes in Internal Medicine - Allergy & Immunology
Various causes: Itching in the pubic area may be due to heat and sweating; fungal infection if there are skin folds; contact allergy to certain chemicals in underwear, particularly made of synthetic materials; lice transmitted by sexual contact or sleeping on an infested mattress. As the causes are so different, you better see your physician.
Dr. Heidi Fowler
Psychiatry 26 years experience
Many possible: causes. These lesions need to be visualized & a history needs to be obtained in order to make an accurate diagnosis. Sometimes lab testing or biopsy is necessary.

Similar questions

A member asked:

Itchy rash on pubic area after 2 days of shaving ?

1 doctor answer1 doctor weighed in
Dr. Jack Mutnick
Allergy and Immunology 18 years experience
Folliculitis: Sounds like folliculitis. If the redness spreads or the skin gets firm, hot, painful then see a doctor since it could be a cellulitis (infection).
A 45-year-old member asked:

What can cause an insanely itchy rash?

1 doctor answer2 doctors weighed in
Dr. Heidi Fowler
Psychiatry 26 years experience
There are many, many: possible causes. Consider getting it checked medically for a better idea.
A 49-year-old member asked:

What is the cause of my itchy rash?

3 doctor answers10 doctors weighed in
Dr. Nayla Mumneh
Allergy and Immunology 30 years experience
Itchy rash: Many answers apply to your question and it is best answered by a thorough history and physical exam. See your doctor about it and they may decide if you need to see a specialist.
Last updated Oct 24, 2017


Content on HealthTap (including answers) should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment, and interactions on HealthTap do not create a doctor-patient relationship. Never disregard or delay professional medical advice in person because of anything on HealthTap. Call your doctor or 911 if you think you may have a medical emergency.