Crowley, LA

why does my heart beat fast at certain times a day?

Dr. Amrit Singh
Cardiology 51 years experience
Sign of life: hr varies by activity and emotions.

What do you suggest if my heart rate dropped to 40 beats per minute the other day. how low can your heart beat drop?

Dr. Bennett Werner
Cardiology 44 years experience
Much slower: Your heart rate can pause for up to 5 seconds (that's a heart rate of 12) and, depending on what you're doing, you may not notice it. Depending on your activity and position, or if it's happening regularly, you'll pass out (or nearly pass out).

My heart rate dropped to 40 beats per minute the other day. How low can your heart beat drop before it's dangerous?

Dr. Anita Prakash
Cardiology 29 years experience
Depends: Normal heart rate is 60-100 bpm. Having said that, in healthy, fit and conditioned individuals a resting heart rate as low as 30-40 BPM can be seen because their heart is conditioned and at rest is not needing a lot of oxygen, so does not beat fast. When that person exercises, and o2 and blood demands go up to their skeletal muscle etc, heart rate will increase. Hope that makes sense.

Why does my heart beat fast when I lay down after a long day?

Dr. Clarence Grim
Endocrinology 57 years experience
Heart fast supine: Need to know what you mean by fast? It may beat faster for a short time because when you assume the supine position the fluid collected in your lower extremities reenters your blood stream your heart must beat faster to move it around until you pee out the difference or until your BP and heart rate control systems thinks things are OK
Afghanistan

Why does my heart beat faster after I eat? Especially when I eat lunch and no breakfast, so my last meal was day before for dinner?

Dr. Mark Lubienski
Thoracic Surgery 37 years experience
Digestion: Your body is circulating more blood to and from your digestive tract to aid in digestion of food and processing of nutrients and waste. Also to bring more oxygen to the muscles in your digestive tract to help in propulsion of food along the GI pathway.

Last updated Oct 18, 2014