Ruther Glen, VA

can you bleed a lot from missing one birth control pill?

Not likely: if you only missed one oral contraceptive pill.

I forgot to take my birth control pill and now i'm bleeding abnormally. What to do?

Dr. Wendy Askew
Depends: Always check a pregnancy test, if negative, then: if you only missed one pill, then took 2 the next day and you are still bleeding abnormally, - i would recommend continuing on as usual and giving a month for your body to normalize. If the abnormal bleeding continues, and you make sure you are not pregnant, then you may need to switch to a different pill. Or have visit to look for other causes.

How long will it take for a birth control pill to stop my bleeding?

Dr. Karen Jones
Several days: Birth control pills are sometimes used to stop a prolonged period. They work to stop the period most of the time, and should do so in 3-5 days. Some women will continue to spot despite being on the pill, and some women will need to take several pills a day for 3-5 days to get the heavy bleeding to stop. Good luck.

Day5Into taking mini birth control pill and I started to bleed when I wiped, it went from dark brown an now to light red I don't have very much on pad?

Dr. Peter Baumann
Specializes in Obstetrics and Gynecology
Breakthrough bleedin: is what it sounds to me you are experiencing and it is a downside to progesterone-only pills or pills with low estrogen content. However, a woman is considered pregnant until proven otherwise. So to be sure, take a pregnancy test.
Columbia, SC

Bleeding after switching to new birth control pill brand. Is this normal? Causes?

Dr. Jeff Livingston
Breakthrough bleed: Sounds like breakthrough bleeding which occurs when you have bleeding at unscheduled times while on the pill. Often things get back to normal the next cycle. If not then schedule a visit to discuss changing brands or changing birth control methods. This is very common. Other than being annoying it is not dangerous. Your body does not recognize one brand form another unless the dose changed
Brighton, MI

It's my second week ever of being on the birth control pill & I started bleeding lightly yesterday & now I'm bleeding like a period..is this normal?

Dr. Deborah Ungerleider
Irregular and break-: through bleeding can certainly occur on the birth control pill; however, I would recommend letting your gynecologist know.

Last updated Oct 15, 2014