what are the symptoms of postpartum depression?

Dr. Sue Hall
Dr. Sue Hallanswered
Sad and tired: If you find yourself constantly exhausted, unable to sleep, sad at a time when you should be happy with your new baby, not interested in eating, having mood swings, worrying or thinking about harming your baby, you could have postpartum depression. This occurs in 10-20% of women within the first few months after birth. It's more likely if you've had depression before or are under stress.
Dr. William Holmes
Child Psychiatry 34 years experience
Clinical Depression: The symptoms are the same as what is seen in what is known as clinical or major depression. These include depressed mood, changes in sleep and appetite, decreased interests in activities, feelings of guilt, and thoughts of death or suicide. Also, since depression arises after giving birth, there are frequent negative thoughts connected with the baby or the mother's ability to care for the baby.
Dr. Susan Feingold
Clinical Psychology 29 years experience
Depression & anxiety: The symptoms can include: insomnia and sleep disturbances, sad & depressed mood, lack of appetite, worrying & severe anxiety, irritability and anger, panic attacks, feelings of hopelessness, loss of pleasure and motivation in usual activities, difficulty functioning as usual, overwhelmed and unable to cope with life's demands, and obsessive, distressing thoughts. Sometimes suicidal thoughts.
Dr. Miroslava Fox
Clinical Psychology 15 years experience
See below: Crying, feelings of guilt, overwhelmed.Postpartum depression significantly impairs functioning, onset might be delayed for up to a year. Even if hormones are stabilized and routine is there, sx do not resolve, worsen and functioning deteriorates. Untreated sx might lead to suicidal ideation/attempts and post-partum psychosis.
Dr. Alan Koenigsberg
Clinical Depression: In general, clinical depression is essentially the same regardless of when it occurs. The evaluation should be done by a psychiatrist, and treatment is generally the same as during other times. In my practice, I have prescribed traditional antidepressant medications with excellent results. Nursing while on the medications has not been a concern with my patients.
Dr. Osman Farooq
Pediatric Neurology 20 years experience
Get checked: If you think you could be having post-partum depression then you should get checked. It is even more important to get checked immediately if you are having thoughts of hurting yourself or others, especially your baby.
Dr. Barbara Lavi
Clinical Psychology 35 years experience
In addition to : Depression symptoms w' postpartum depression includes thoughts of harming the infant and/ or disinterest and difficulty bonding with the child. It is important to get help ASAP if you think you have postpartum depression.
Pathology 49 years experience
Variable: Visit this site for info on this topic: https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/postpartum-depression/symptoms-causes/syc-20376617 Counter-intuitive as it may seem, exercise may help. Start with low intensity exercise such as walking and gradually increase the intensity as tolerated. Wish you good health!