San Jose, CA

hi, i am taking a multivitamin with iron and i usually get a stomachache from it. but if i eat a really big meal and then take it, it doesn't bother me. why is this the case? thanks

Dr. Jan Lei Iwata
Ophthalmology 26 years experience
Ferrous gluconate is: kinder on the gut than the sulfate form. Plus, enteric coated is better for you probably. Will work better for you It's common for the ferrous sultate to be hard on many people's guts. So, choose a kinder version of iron. Depends what kind of meal too may make a difference. A big meal helps coat the tablet from irritating you.Best to not take calcium products at the same time.