what's it mean if my cheekbones and jaw hurt and sending pain down my neck?

5 doctor answers
Dr. Theodore Davantzis
39 years experience Dentistry
TMJ ?: That's just a guess. See your dentist to start the process of determining the cause of your discomfort. You may be grinding or clenching your teeth.
Answered on Sep 29, 2016
1
Dr. Philip Miller
A Verified Doctor commented
A US doctor answered Learn more
I agree that you may have TMJ syndrome- please consult a dentist in thisd field of expertise
Aug 27, 2014
Dr. Richard Bernstein
35 years experience Dentistry
TMJ issues: From your symptoms, sounds like you clench your teeth and could also be grinding your teeth as well. As you clench and/or grind your teeth, it fatigues the facial muscles as well as the reciprocal muscles on the neck area. This can lead to soreness in the jaw, TMJ pain and fatigued neck muscles. Good idea to see your Dentist and be fitted with an occlusal guard.
Answered on Jan 25, 2015
2
Dr. Louis Gallia
44 years experience Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery
See Oral Surgeon: I don't feel as strongly as the other docs here that you have TMJ. Could be, but could be other things also. Best bet is to have an evaluation by oral surgeon. He/she can diagnose and make recommendations/referrals
Answered on May 9, 2015
1
Dr. Daniel Rubenstein
50 years experience Dentistry
I agree. It could be TMJ, but it could also be an infection of a tooth, a sinus infection, or something else entirely. A clinical and visual exam is needed here.
May 9, 2015
Dr. Paul Grin
Dr. Paul Grin answered
35 years experience Pain Management
TMJ syndrome: Temporo-mandibular syndrome is the second most frequent cause of orofacial pain after dental pain. Headache, jaw noises, earache, and jaw pain are the common symptoms. Proper diagnosis is the key to successful treatment. See Orofacial Pain practitioner for a consultation and treatment options.
Answered on May 9, 2015
Dr. Steven Pohlhaus
31 years experience Dentistry
Could be TMJ: An examination by a dentist for TMJ syndrome is a good place to start. TMJ patients often present with neck problems as well. It can be useful to have a physical therapy consult as part of your TMJ treatment plan. If you would like more comprehensive information visit our practice website's TMJ page at..http://www.laserdentistbaltimore.com/tmj-therapy/
Answered on May 9, 2015