green tea and acne connection? recently i have been drinking large amounts of it coupled with high doses of biotin. my acne scars are nearly gone.

4 doctor answers
Dr. J. Lawrence Dohan
56 years experience Dermatology
No connection: Glad you are better. But neither the tea nor the biotin had anything to do with it.
Answered on Aug 18, 2014
Dr. William Coutts ii
Green tea: I think that it is mainly the antioxidants in the green tea that reduces inflammation and may decrease the androgenic hormonal effects to some extent that are helping. Biotin often makes acne worse. I am not sure about biotin and scar healing. Be thankful that your acne scars have essentially resolved. Biotin has nutritional benefits otherwise.
Answered on Aug 18, 2014
1
Dr. J. Lawrence Dohan
56 years experience Dermatology
No kind of tea has any effect on acne or acne scars. Biotin does nothing good or bad.
Aug 18, 2014
Dr. Chan Hwang
26 years experience Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation
Difficult to know...: There are many anecdotes that topical green tea bags cures people's acne, but there is little in the way of any research, let alone double blind, placebo-controlled trials, which are the gold standard of assessing a potential treatment. Nevertheless many people think that green tea cures acne, possibly due to antioxidants known to be in green tea. It would be useful to investigate this further.
Answered on Feb 23, 2016
1
Dr. J. Lawrence Dohan
56 years experience Dermatology
No effect on acne with either of these.
Aug 19, 2014
Dr. Alexander Alvarez
Placebo effect: Ha, the power of suggestion
Answered on Aug 18, 2014