U.S. doctors online nowAsk doctors free
A 21-year-old member asked:

what causes astigmatism?

4 doctor answers8 doctors weighed in
Dr. Vasu Brown
Integrative Medicine 34 years experience
Irregular Cornea: Astigmatism usually is caused by an irregularly shaped cornea. Instead of the cornea having a symmetrically round shape (like a baseball), it is shaped more like a football, with one meridian being significantly more curved than the meridian perpendicular to it. Astigmatism usually causes vision to be blurred or distorted to some degree at all distances.
Dr. Richard Bensinger
Ophthalmology 52 years experience
Eye growth: Mosty astigmatism is due to the way the eye develops as it grows and is due to differential growth in one axis causing an ovalness of the need for glasses. Some astigmatism can also be from eye trauma.
Dr. Heidi Fowler
Psychiatry 25 years experience
Refractive Error: Here is a great article by mayo clinic: http://www.Mayoclinic.Com/health/astigmatism/ds00230/dsection=causes. Astigmatism has to do with distortions of the curves in the cornea or the lens of the eye.
Dr. Harold Peltan
Ophthalmology 28 years experience
Cornea, lens: In astigmatism, light that enters the eye is refracted more in one direction than the other, allowing only part of the object to be in focus at one time. 95% of the time, this is caused by differences in curvature in different axes of the cornea on the front of the eye. The cornea does 2/3 of the focusing of light in the eye. The other 1/3 is done by the lens, which causes 5% of astigmatism.

90,000 U.S. doctors in 147 specialties are here to answer your questions or offer you advice, prescriptions, and more. Get help now:

Ask doctors free
Personalized answers
Free
Talk to a doctor
$30 per visit with
membership

Similar questions

A 42-year-old member asked:

How can I stop my astigmatism from getting worse?

4 doctor answers5 doctors weighed in
Dr. Ilan Cohen
Ophthalmology 25 years experience
You cannot: With the exception of certain eye diseases, most people's prescription, including astigmatism, is stable from the early 20s to the middle to late 40s and sometimes beyond. You can correct for this with glasses, contacts or laser vision correction.
A 36-year-old member asked:

Can having astigmatism cause an increase in prescription?

1 doctor answer1 doctor weighed in
Dr. Tim Conrad
Ophthalmology 34 years experience
Not really: Astigmatism correction is part of an overall glasses or contact lens prescription. Most people have astigmatism; so it's really normal to have it.
Canada
A 26-year-old female asked:

Can astigmatism cause visual snow?

1 doctor answer2 doctors weighed in
Dr. Charles Gordon
Specializes in Adolescent Medicine
No: Visual snow are "floaters". They are inside the eyeball. Astigmatism is a problem with the curvature of the cornea. Doesn't have to do with the inside at all. Same organ but different physiological derangement.
Philippines
A 19-year-old female asked about a 22-year-old male:

What is astigmatism? And what causes it?

1 doctor answer1 doctor weighed in
Dr. Martin Perlmutter
Ophthalmology 59 years experience
Eye mishapend: astigmatism is when the eye or its structures are not round (spherical). It commonly is on the cornes but may be in the lens or the shape of the eye itself.
Qatar
A 36-year-old male asked:

Can astigmatism of 0.75 cause headaches only during reading?

1 doctor answer1 doctor weighed in
Dr. Neil McLeod
Prosthodontics 49 years experience
Short Answer Yes: When your brain is straining to accurately interpret what two unmatched eyes are trying to tell them it causes "Eye Strain" See an ophthalmologist as soon as you can and get your vision assessed.

Related questions

A 40-year-old member asked:
1 doctor answer2 doctors weighed in
A 42-year-old member asked:
1 doctor answer2 doctors weighed in
A 48-year-old member asked:
1 doctor answer3 doctors weighed in
A 33-year-old member asked:
1 doctor answer1 doctor weighed in

90,000 U.S. doctors in 147 specialties are here to answer your questions or offer you advice, prescriptions, and more. Get help now:

Ask doctors free
Personalized answers
Free
Talk to a doctor
$30 per visit with
membership
Last updated Mar 21, 2017

People also asked

Related topics

Connect with a U.S. board-certified doctor by text or video anytime, anywhere.
$30 per visit with
membership

Disclaimer:

Content on HealthTap (including answers) should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment, and interactions on HealthTap do not create a doctor-patient relationship. Never disregard or delay professional medical advice in person because of anything on HealthTap. Call your doctor or 911 if you think you may have a medical emergency.