can men be tested for hpv?

Yes: There are both serum tests (antibody response) and clinical tests for what appear to be HPV lesions. Their doc can arrange this.

What do 16 and 18 HPV types look like in men? Is it very hard to see?

Dr. Stephen Sudler
Invisible: Hpv subtypes 16 and 18 are not known for causing genital warts, so it is unlike you will see anything on an male infected with these viral strains.

Can men get hpv?

Pathology 49 years experience
Yes: It is related to cancers of the penis, anus, mouth.
SC

Can men be cured from hpv?

Pathology 49 years experience
Self cure in most: Most men get over the infection on its own; however, there is no known treatment to eradicate the infection in those who have persistent infection. See this site for more information on this topic. http://www.cdc.gov/std/hpv/stdfact-hpv-and-men.htm.
Portsmouth, VA

How does HPV affect men? My wife has HPV and was treated but what do I do? Is there a treament for me too or should I be concerned about any health effects for me?

Dr. Joy Jackson
HPV : Hpv otherwise known as human papilloma virus is very common. It is estimated that 1/3 people carry the virus, however not all have symptoms or any health problem as a result of it. There are many of types of hpv. The most common causing genital warts. Other types cause cervical cancer in women, anal cancer in both men and women, and certain throat cancers. The fact that your wife has hpv means that you are likely a carrier of the virus. The good news for you is that most men develop no symptoms or health problems as a result of contracting the virus. Currently, there is no test to detect hpv in men. If you suspect you have genital warts or more uncommonly any signs or symptoms of cancer (new lesions, weight loss, swollen lymph nodes) you should bring this to the attention of your doctor.

What should men do about HPV if their wife has been diagnosed and treated for it?

Dr. Francisco R. Rodriguez
Urology 9 years experience
HPV: Wear condoms.
Dr. Thomas Namey
Rheumatology 48 years experience
Can't treat hpv after the fact. If he had sex episodes before her. Diagnosis he will have hpv and the spouse will re contract it!
Jun 11, 2017

Last updated Jul 20, 2014