Why do diabetics get boils and what can we do to prevent them or bring it to a head once it forms? thanks

3 doctors weighed in across 2 answers
Dr. Rajnish Jaiswal answered

Specializes in Emergency Medicine

Diabetes by it's very nature tends to weaken the immune system and predisposes to bacterial infections. In poorly controlled diabetics, the elevated blood sugars forms an ideal medium for bacteria to grow and flourish. The best way to avoid frequent boils is to control your diabetes. If you do notice a boil, I suggest not to manipulate it too much and let is come to head on it's own or see an MD.

Answered Jan 17, 2017

3.9k views