A 29-year-old female asked about a 34-year-old female:

When i'm on my period, my tampon is soaked with an old urine smell, what causes that type of discharge from my vagina?

Dr. Rex Mahnensmith
45 years experience
Infection: The odor is likely ammonia and urea. This odor indicates infection. It is likely that an infection exists. It is possible that a fistula exists between vagina and bladder. It is possible that a cervical or vaginal infection exists. The work up requires urinalysis, urine culture, GYN exam, and vaginal and cervical cultures.ur
Created for people with ongoing healthcare needs but benefits everyone.
Last updated Jun 26, 2015